Modern vehicles have a multitude of moving parts that must work together correctly to keep them harmonious. Wheel bearings are a critical safety item, and Casey’s team in Sterling, VA, is here to give you the low down on what they are and how they work.
What Are Wheel Bearings?
Wheel bearings are sets of steel balls that are held together by a metal ring. They assist the wheels in rotating smoothly and with little friction. The center of a vehicle’s wheels is hollow metal pieces named hubs. The wheel bearings are tightly fit inside the hubs while they ride on the metal axle shafts.
How Do Bearings Affect Performance?
Being a critical part of the vehicular performance, they help the wheels rotate smoothly. They are also necessary for decreasing friction caused by other components in the drivetrain system. If the bearings become damaged or need to be replaced, dire issues can occur. That could be costly for repair!
Causes of Wheel Bearing Malfunctions
- Driving Conditions such as water, mud, road dirt, and other contaminants can get past seals and into the bearings.
- Bearing quality makes a big difference in how long the part will last. Low-quality steel has poor heat resistance.
- Uneven terrains will, over time, cause damage around the areas of the steel ball bearings.
- Uneven and imbalanced tires will cause more pressure on the bearings. That will lead to costly damage.
- Automotive accidents are always going to cause problems, and that can include wheel bearings.
Signs of Wheel Bearing Issues
If you start hearing unusual noises like humming, growling, or rumbling sounds. Or your steering is loose or vague; it could be bearing problems.
Wheel Bearing Inspections & Repairs at Casey’s Automotive in Sterling, Virginia
When it comes to the safety and health of your car, truck, van, or SUV, Casey’s team in Sterling, VA, has got your back. Contact us for an inspection if you experience any of the symptoms listed above!