These days, gasoline for our cars and trucks can take a significant portion of our budgets. The prices at the pump are constantly changing, and we must learn how to get the most out of every tank. Casey’s team in Chantilly, VA, has put together the below to help explore the concept of fuel efficiency and offer a few tips for maximizing it.
What is Fuel Efficiency?
While walking around an automobile dealership, you’ve probably seen the term “miles per gallon” (MPG) on the sticker, which is fuel efficiency. The term “fuel efficiency” refers to the amount of gasoline a vehicle uses per the distance traveled. Basically, it measures how far your car or truck can travel with a specific amount of fuel.
For example, if a vehicle’s sticker says “22 MPG,” you should expect to be able to drive twenty-two miles on each gallon of gas.
What Affects Fuel Efficiency?
Several factors can affect a vehicle’s fuel efficiency. Below are the main factors.
- Vehicle Weight
- Engine Size & Type
- Tire Pressure
- Driving Habits
How do you Maximize Fuel Efficiency?
In Chantilly, VA, we pay a hefty price at our pumps, so let’s explore how we can reduce the cost by making the most out of the tank.
- Regular Maintenance Services: Maintaining a vehicle’s regular services is one of the best ways to save money on gas. We have covered this in-depth right here.
- Drive Light: Is your vehicle stocked with gear that isn’t a daily requirement? Remove them from the vehicle. Every pound added requires more energy to move, so you burn gas.
- Proper Tire Pressure: Tire pressure is often overlooked as a cause for poor fuel efficiency, but it is often a significant factor! Ensure your tires are adequately filled by checking the decal on your driver-side door, tire, trunk, or the owner’s manual.
- Don’t Rapidly Accelerate: Tempting as it may be, quick acceleration rapidly reduces fuel. The same goes for sudden braking. Keep it steady and save some money.
- Cruise Control: Remember the tortoise and the hare? As stated above, steady as she goes. If it’s safe to do so, pop on that cruise control during highway driving.
Automotive Maintenance at Casey’s Automotive in Chantilly, Virginia
When it comes to maintaining fuel efficiency, having your vehicle regularly serviced is something we can do! Air filters, tire pressure, fluid flushes, oil changes, and other services will help you stay ahead of your wallet. Contact us for an appointment. When your vehicle is in our shop, we will provide you with a complimentary inspection that covers over forty areas of your car or truck. The inspection is sent directly to your phone and includes pictures and descriptions. Armed with that report, you’ll better know the health of your vehicle.